Thursday, September 11, 2008

Be sure to eat your protein

We finally made it to Wyoming this summer. It had been four years since I had seen my grandmother. My daughter finally was able to meet her. It was a good trip. But what do you do when you know it is the last time you will ever see someone? If you are in my family you certainly don't think about it. Don't hug or kiss the person either. At pat on the back is okay though. Smiling and saying you wish you could have stayed longer is good. But don't acknowledge the truth and definitely, DEFINITELY don't talk about it.
My grandmother is now 90 years old. I never imagined she would make it that far and I'm certain she didn't either. Her health is balanced precariously on a razor sharp edge... with only one way down. Balancing is all that is left for her to do. Part of keeping her healthy has to do with the food that she eats - and it is well known that in order for the body to heal, to regenerate, and to hang in there... you need protein. Lots of protein.
I certainly would rather have my grandmother stay around for another 10 years. I don't believe that is in the forecast for her. I also believe, however, that she will never give up. Her relatives who have passed on, St. Peter, and perhaps The Almighty Himself will probably have to come and drag her over. More power to you Grandma!!
I didn't hug her or kiss her. I didn't speak of these things or many things as I was at a loss for words. I knew in my heart that it would be the last time I saw her... my head knew it too. I did however, look firmly, in a very connected manner, into her eyes. I wanted to memorize them. I wanted our spirits to acknowledge each other. And then I told her the only thing I could - "be sure to eat your protein". Which interpreted means: I love you. Thank you for everything you have done for me. I will miss you. But I know that you will soon be in a far better place, with far better people. God will bless you and give you peace. I look forward to seeing you again one day. I hate to leave, I don't like goodbye's... I will never forget you.
My sister moved back to Wyoming last week. I am happy for her because she is happy. I know that she was never happy in Texas and for many reasons I can understand. I have mixed emotions about her departure. Happy for her, but sad. Watching them leave in their train of u-haul trucks and trailers was a surreal moment. Bittersweet indeed. I chose not to say goodbye to the kids. I don't like saying goodbye to kids. I figured the littlest ones would tug at my heart the most. But surprisingly it wasn't them --- it was the oldest. That Spencer will always have a special place in my heart. Darn boy.
So for the second time this summer I said goodbye to people in my family --- not an enjoyable activity. But I know it is for good. And to my sister I say "be sure to eat your protein".

No comments: