Monday, September 22, 2008

pan-"ike"

We are now nine days post Hurricane Ike. He came, he roared, he blew a lot of stuff around, and left a lot of destruction in his path. Very rude if you ask me. But I must say that it was a rather impressive storm --- started out in the Atlantic and made a path of destruction all the way here. And he was a big monster - not necessarily in category, but in size.
This was my first hurricane and unfortunately if I stay in Houston, not my last! I'd like to think that we were decently prepared, but Ike showed us that there is always room for more preparation. We were very blessed and quite fortunate. No major damage to my home and we were only without power for two days. There are still nearly a million people in the area without power and some even without water. Many trees, fences, roofs, buildings, signs, and businesses all around us were severely damaged. It was widespread and crazy to witness with my own eyes. I have never seen such things in my sheltered life. And yet I know there will be more to come in the future. I hope that complacency will not rebound. I know that this city was spared much worse - and those of us who are not as good as we should be are hopefully grateful to have ridden the coat tails of the righteous.
School should resume tomorrow for most areas. The kids have been out for a week and two days now. An unexpected vacation that didn't feel anything like a vacation. We have been under a city wide curfew and many stores are still closed or open for short periods only. It was a very disconcerting feeling to walk through the only open grocery store the evening after the storm. It seemed everyone else was there as well in a panic. People grabbing up all the items they could - regardless of whether or not they really needed them! Most shelves were barren. There were no refrigerated items, no frozen items, no produce, no bread, little if any water, no ice, and few if any canned items. People were standing in long lines with short fuses. There were long lines at the handful of gas stations open --- long, long, long lines. And long lines down most streets as people were waiting at non-existent traffic lights trying to remember four-way stop etiquette. It felt much like what I envisioned it would be - only this time I couldn't turn the channel.
It was tough living without tv for two days as well. Sad to say, but true. Didn't realize I was that dependent. Actually I don't think that I am, I just don't like not having the option of being able to turn on the sooth-saying box. I found myself glued to the tiny transistor radio - broadcasting continuously the local news channel.
The days just after were very zombie-like. Perhaps a little bit of shock happening. I was stressed - the storm itself was indescribable. The days after were also stressful just because things were so far from normal. The day after there was actually another storm that came through preceding a cool front. Normally that stormed would have scared me and been considered "really, really bad", but after the hurricane it was a walk in the park.
I'm glad to say that for the most part our pan-"ike" has receded. I can now purchase milk, bread, eggs, and even a cold drink at the grocery store (at least between the hours of 8 and 8). My phones work on demand now and not every once in a while. I can watch tv at my leisure and can even turn the channel when I'm tired of seeing the continuous clean-up this city is experiencing. I'm very, very, very grateful for the blessings we have had during and after this un-nerving natural disaster. Very grateful for safety, friends and family, a great home, and especially --- air conditioning!!!

No comments: