Friday, May 23, 2008

Gassy and bloated

That's what I think of gas prices and the oil execs behind them. And that's the nicest thing I could think of. I just don't understand... I have never seen such exorbitant jumps in prices on a daily basis for no reason at all. I know everyone is feeling the stress and pain. It makes no sense.
Only 10 years ago I remember rushing to the local grocery store gas station to fill up on .78 cent per gallon gas. You could go anywhere and do anything as long as your car was running. Never even thought about flying anywhere because we could just drive. And I loved a good road trip! Now I can't even afford to go see my grandma because of the price of gas. Flying only marginally factors in because the costs are relatively equal. TOO MUCH!!!!
I know that to keep inner peace we must be accepting of what is... Well, this IS is just WRONG!!! Talks between oil execs. and the powers on capital hill are just big lie fests. No one in charge is taking charge. Is there any one in charge?? I have my suspicions... And the media is not helping... they announce that prices will go higher and guess what? they do! I think oil companies and gas stations take advantage of the "if it's on the news it's true" philosophy. And people are just so media-numb that we sit back and take it. I would like to see what would happen if every news station reported a dramatic price drop...
Well, I am driving less. Combining trips out of the house, planning out my routes, etc. I've even been biking more - getting my legs prepared for longer jaunts. I'm glad I purchased that bike trailer a few years back... now I can haul the kid and the groceries (what I can afford).
I know this kind of thought is not of secret nature or peaceful tranquility... I'm trying to be present and aware, but every time I go to the gas station I'd really rather be elsewhere...

1 comment:

Naomi said...

AMEN... Oh and I saw a shoe today. I bet someone threw it at a gas station, just because...